Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cowboy Parenting

For the past couple of years, I've been inching my way through the long and consistently wonderful list of Newbery medal winners.  I'm midway through Will James' Smoky, the Cowhorse, winner of the 1927 medal, and I just came across this gem that brought to my mind some of the concepts behind compassionate parenting:
Will James was a French Canadian turned Wild West cattle rustler, who wrote and illustrated many books on horses and cowboys.  His characters of both Smoky and Clint, the cowboy who becomes Smoky's "pardner" are beautifully described.  James' deep compassion for horses and his entertaining use of cowboy dialect are making this book a real pleasure to read.

And, since I just can't bring myself to write a post without a picture, here's an old one of Ruben waiting for his grub from the chuckwagon:


2 comments:

  1. I have an award for you over at my blog.
    http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-awards-from-child-central-station.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that photo, glad you included it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!